Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

030-5438 Upperville Historic District

Upperville Historic District
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 01/18/1972

NRHP Listing Date 10/18/1972

NPS property number 72001394

Surrounded by grand estates and scenic farmland, Upperville is a principal geographic reference point for Virginia’s renown hunt country. The linear village was laid out in 1797 by Joseph Carr along the Alexandria-Winchester Turnpike. Carr planned the lower or western end for commerce and the upper or eastern end for residential use, with the town taking its name from the residential portion. The village’s entire length preserves detached country versions of various 19th-century styles in brick, wood, and log, all shaded by masses of trees. A striking, albeit modern, accent is the 1950s Trinity Episcopal Church, in the style of a French medieval parish church. Designed by H. Page Cross of New York, the church was donated by philanthropist and parishioner Paul Mellon. Upperville is the home of the nation’s oldest horse show, founded in 1853 by Richard Henry Dulany.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018