Willis Presbyterian Church and Cemetery, the last of the rock-faced churches associated with Rev. Childress to be built, was constructed in Floyd County in 1954, just two years before Childress’s death. The congregation had operated independently, however, since 1939. Its cemetery predates the church building by several decades, with fine examples of mid-19th- through mid-20th-century gravestone carving. Willis Presbyterian Church became the Interfaith Church of Willis in 1967, and was sold to Grace Baptist Church in 2003.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia