For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/19/2003
NRHP Listing Date 06/23/2003
NRHP Reference Number 03000565
Phlegar House is associated with German settlement around 1800 in what would become Floyd County. George Phlegar probably built the original log portion of the two-story weatherboarded house in about 1816, as indicated by a date stone at the top of the east chimney. Originally constructed as a two-story, hall-parlor-plan, log dwelling, the Phlegar House received Greek Revival improvements in the mid-19th century, followed by a frame addition constructed shortly after 1900. The house and surrounding farmland remained in Phlegar family possession until 1993, when the farm was acquired for development as the Floyd Regional Commerce Center.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: May 4, 2022