This simple Gothic Revival structure was constructed in 1835 as a chapel for the enslaved African Americans at Bremo, the Fluvanna County plantation of John Hartwell Cocke. It is the state’s only known slave chapel and represents Cocke’s deep concern for the religious and moral edification of slaves. He had the enslaved at Bremo taught to read and decided that it was his Christian duty to provide them with religious instruction. Cocke was determined that his slaves should have their own house of worship and thus had the board-and-batten Bremo Slave Chapel built on what became know as Chapel Field. Cocke and his wife Louisa frequently conducted services themselves. The Bremo Slave Chapel fell into disuse after the Civil War. In 1884 it was moved to the village of Bremo Bluff to serve the local Episcopal parish. It remained a church until 1924 when converted to a parish hall for the present Grace Episcopal Church.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia