Laughton in Fluvanna County was begun about 1785 by David Shepherd, a local planter who also served as a county sheriff and magistrate. The house is a particularly good example of a small plantation house that was enlarged to accommodate expanding families and exhibits this evolution picturesquely. Especially noteworthy is its handsome Flemish-bond brick chimney with paved weatherings and diagonal lines of glazed headers parallel to the weathered slopes. The interior contains much of its original woodwork. A double row of boxwood nearly 20 feet high leads to the front door. The Shepherd family cemetery located on a rise just east of the house is enclosed by a robust granite wall.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark