Zion Poplars Baptist Church was named for a grove of seven poplars, four of which remain on the church grounds, joined at one base. An African American community used the poplars as a “brush arbor,” a hidden place, for religious worship before the construction of the church. The Gloucester County church, built in 1894, is a Victorian building with classical references in its interior trim. Much of the striking interior, including the sanctuary, was hand-carved by Frank Braxton, a former enslaved individual. Despite a later addition, the Zion Poplars Baptist Church still retains a high degree of integrity and exhibits outstanding craftsmanship.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark