Carter’s Tavern, on Halifax County’s historic River Road, is a handsomely preserved example of an early southern Virginia ordinary. With most of its original interior fabric intact, the capacious frame building provides a rare picture of the arrangement of a once common Virginia institution. Of particular significance here is the great quantity of original graining and marbleizing on the woodwork, most of which is unusually ornate. Licenses issued in 1802 and 1804 indicate that Joseph Dodson, Jr., operated an ordinary here in what was also his residence. The place was acquired in 1807 by Samuel Carter, who enlarged the building by adding the two-story main section. Carter managed the tavern until his death in 1836. The building stood derelict for many years until 1972 when Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Edmunds acquired the building and restored it prior to its listing in the registers.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia