For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/15/2017
NRHP Listing Date 08/28/2017
NRHP Reference Number SG100001512
Built around 1861, Halifax County’s Glenwood blends the county’s leading antebellum architectural styles: Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, and Italianate. The two-story frame house was constructed in front of an earlier planked circa-1800 log house which became a rear wing. The exterior of the main house exhibits Italianate and Gothic Revival influences, and the interior features a stair with Gothic Revival details and Greek Revival mantels and door and window trim. Architect John Evans Johnson may have contributed to the design of the house, which was built for tobacconist James Anderson Glenn II. In 1912 the property was purchased by the Bass family, the current owners. The property also contains historic outbuildings constructed during the first half of the 20th century.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 26, 2021