For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/13/2000
NRHP Listing Date 11/22/2000
NRHP Reference Number 00001436
Church Quarter is a one-story, log, hall-parlor-plan house that was built about 1843. It remains remarkably intact and unspoiled, a rare survivor of what was once a common house type. Standing on Old Ridge Road, one of the earliest thoroughfares in Hanover County, Church Quarter is one of the best-preserved antebellum log structures in central Virginia. Important surviving interior features, including hardware, give it special significance. During the Civil War, Stonewall Jackson’s well-documented stop for water contributed to the local importance of the property. Near the main house are the ruins of a sort of orangery dating from about 1900 and known locally as “the flower house.” Old plant material similar to that described in the account of Jackson’s visit survives in the yard. Church Quarter is owned by the Scotchtown Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 16, 2022