For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/10/2020
NRHP Listing Date 02/19/2021
NRHP Reference Number SG100006158
The Macmurdo House, centrally located within the Ashland Historic District, remains one of the best examples of Greek Revival architecture—and one of the least altered mid-19th-century dwellings—in the town. To serve his extended family, C.W. Macmurdo had the two-story, three-bay, frame house built on a ten-acre lot in 1858, when he was treasurer of the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad Company as it developed Ashland in Hanover County. Among the earliest homes built in the new village, the Macmurdo House is one of the few Greek Revival residences standing in Ashland and Hanover County that was not “updated” with Italianate details after the Civil War. In 1937, the Macmurdo family sold the by-then two-thirds-of-an-acre property. The original house, along with its late-19th-century rear addition, a 1920s garage, and sensitive additions of modern mechanical systems, represents several generations of the Macmurdo family who actively developed Ashland, witnessed the Civil War at their doorstep, and transitioned to the postwar Reconstruction era and early-20th-century modernization.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 7, 2022