A rare example of a country Episcopal church untouched by the ecclesiological reforms of the late 19th century, Hanover County’s Trinity Church was constructed in 1830 by William and Milton Green, local builders. Following the low-church Episcopal tradition, the interior focused on a center pulpit rather than an altar. This arrangement was given distinction here by the use of a semi-circular communion railing enclosing the curved rostrum and a curved holy table. Beyond the railing is a curved ring of communion benches. Another rare survival is a sign in the gallery which reads: “FIRST THREE PEWS ON THIS SIDE, FOR SERVANTS.” Trinity has always been a part of St. Martin’s Parish, which was formed in 1726. The congregation merged with Fork Church in the 1960s. The parish holds an annual service here each Trinity Sunday.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark