The Tavern at Old Church is an important example of a rural Federal-style tavern complex, an increasingly rare but once-common building type in rural Virginia. The property formed the nucleus of the Hanover County crossroads community of “Old Church.” A number of historic houses and churches remain within sight of the tavern, giving it a pleasing context and intact historic setting. The Tavern at Old Church operated from around 1820 to 1890. Its owners also often served as postmasters and, around 1870, a purpose-built, frame post office building was constructed on the property. The property’s period of significance extends from circa 1820 to 1893, when the tavern building was divided into two private dwellings. The tavern shows outstanding vernacular character with one half of the building constructed in brick and the other half in heavy frame, all dating to before 1860.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark