The simple dignity of Virginia’s traditional rural buildings is well depicted in this country tavern with its dormers and engaged front porch, the latter a characteristic feature of early taverns. The construction date of the Sycamore Tavern in Hanover County is unknown, but it was first recorded as a tavern in 1804 when it was serving as the fourth stagecoach stop on the Old Mountain Road, a historic route between Richmond and Charlottesville in Hanover County. In the mid-19th-century it was known as Shelburn’s Tavern after its preacher/innkeeper the Rev. Silas Shelburn. In this century, author Thomas Nelson Page, a Hanover County native, founded a library here in memory of his wife. Although the building is owned by the county, the Florence L. Page Memorial Library continues to be funded by a trust established by Page and specializes in local history and genealogy. The Sycamore Tavern is a contributing building in the Montpelier Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark