The 18th-century port village of Hanover Town grew up beside tobacco warehouses on the uppermost part of the Pamunkey River. The village site was patented in 1672 by Col. John Page, and the first warehouse began operation in 1730. The community was formally established in 1762 by the House of Burgesses through the efforts of Mann Page II of Rosewell, who had inherited much of John Page’s property. Hanover Town was raided by Lord Cornwallis’s army during the Revolution and declined after the war when the silting of the river inhibited commerce. By the mid-19th century it had almost completely disappeared; shown above are the foundations of Page’s warehouse. The Hanover Town village site holds potential archaeological information relating to the structures and layout of a colonial port town.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark