Selwyn stands among Hanover County’s Civil War battlefields and was witness to the events of the war in 1862 and in 1864. The house was used as headquarters and a hospital first by Union and then by Confederate armies in 1862 during McClellan’s Peninsula Campaign. During the 1864 Battle of Cold Harbor, the house again served as a hospital. It is one of the best examples of a house that demonstrates the evolution from the Federal to the Greek Revival style. The house and grounds rank today among the most significant historical and architectural resources in Hanover County.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark