The Little River UDC Jefferson Davis Highway Marker is located five miles north of Ashland in Hanover County along U.S. Route 1. Composed of gray granite and just over four feet in height and 29 inches wide, the Little River marker was dedicated in 1936 and is one of sixteen erected in Virginia along the Jefferson Davis Highway between 1927 and 1946 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) to commemorate Jefferson Davis, the first and only president of the Confederate States of America. A nationwide memorial project of the UDC, the Jefferson Davis Highway markers began in 1913 and continued until 1947 when the highway’s terminal marker was placed in Arlington. Stretching to San Diego, California, the Davis highway was a southern counterpoint to the nation-spanning Lincoln Highway. The Little River UDC Jefferson Davis Highway Marker is situated near to where the left wing of Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s army rested on May 23-26, 1864 while Lee’s forces faced Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant on the north side of North Anna River.
The Little River UDC Jefferson Davis Highway Marker was moved from the west side of Route 1 a short distance to the northeast, on the south bank of the North Anna River and on the east side of the road.
[NRHP Approved: 3/28/2023]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia