Settled during the early 17th century, Varina Plantation was the site of the Henrico Parish glebe, established before 1640. The first Henrico County courthouse was built at Varina before 1666. The Rev. James Blair, who later became the first rector of the College of William and Mary, lived at Varina between 1685 and 1694, when he was minister at Varina Parish. During the 1720s, Thomas Randolph of Tuckahoe purchased land at Varina, and his son Thomas Mann Randolph developed the property into a prosperous plantation. In 1828 Thomas Mann Randolph, Jr., sold the plantation to Pleasant Aiken of Petersburg, whose son Albert M. Aiken built the present brick dwelling just before the Civil War. Aiken’s Landing became one of two major points in the South where prisoners of war were exchanged. A persistent legend linking Varina Plantation with John Rolfe and Pocahontas arose in the mid-19th century. The Varina Plantation house with a five-acre parcel are now owned by Henrico County, which plans to rehabilitate the building in 2024.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark