The Brook Road Jefferson Davis Highway Marker is one of 16 markers in Virginia erected along the Jefferson Davis Highway between 1927 and 1947 as a memorial to Jefferson F. Davis, first and only president of the Confederate States of America. The markers were paid for and erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, an action replicated in other former Confederate states to designate a cross-country route from Arlington to San Diego as the Jefferson Davis Highway. The Davis highway in Virginia follows U.S. 1, running from the Potomac River Bridge in Arlington through Fredericksburg, Richmond, Petersburg, and to the North Carolina border, a total of 235 miles. The Brook Road marker was dedicated on June 3, 1927; only days before, on May 27, the Jefferson Davis Highway had been officially opened. The marker is placed near the location of the northernmost outer defenses of the city, erected during the Civil War.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia
Copyright © 2023. All Rights Reserved | Website by CURE