For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NRHP Listing Date 02/20/1992
NRHP Reference Number 92000020
The present acreage of the Powhatan Rural Historic District represents a significant reassemblage of the land holdings of Edward Thornton Tayloe, a member of the U.S. diplomatic service in the mid-eighteenth century and one of Virginia’s most affluent planters of that era. While the Tayloe family lands were sold off in parcels throughout the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Raymond R. Guest began to reassemble them in 1955. The approximately 1092-acre district contains three distinct historic residential farm clusters as well as two post-1950 stable complexes and several other auxiliary residential and agricultural buildings. At the largest scale the district has much the same appearance that it had historically. The historic Tayloe residences remain in their original locations in the midst of agricultural settings. No antebellum agricultural structures remain nor do any slave dwellings. As a result there has been a loss of some of the details of farm and plantation life as the property has evolved into a modem horseracing farm and rural estate.
[NRHP Listed Only]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: March 19, 2021