VLR Listing Date 06/21/2018
Built in 1786,in King George County is the late Georgian, early Federal residence of White Plains, with its restrained mid-20th century Colonial Revival enhancements—three styles central to Virginia architectural history. Aaron Thornley, its first owner, served as Surveyor of King George County and Inspector at Gibson’s Warehouse, later Port Conway, making Thornley a player in the early colonial-era settlement of King George County. The property is also significant for the well-documented work enslaved persons of African descent executed there from the 1780s until the early 1860s. The house’s Colonial Revival elements were added during a restoration in the 1940s, notably carried out with a strong sense of preservation that appears to have “colonialized” relatively little of the existing historic fabric and instead ensured its continued preservation and use.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated October 19, 2018