Set in the heart of Loudoun County’s hunt country, Welbourne is a patrician homestead expanded in stages over a century and a half to meet the tastes and needs of seven generations of the same family. John Peyton Dulany purchased the nucleus of the present house, an 18th-century stone dwelling, in 1833, and enlarged it into a five-bay structure. The house was further enlarged in the 1840s, with one-story wings with demi-octagonal ends. Additional embellishment came in the 1850s with Italianate porticoes on the façade and a rear ell. A two-story south wing rounded out the house in the 1870s. Each part of Welbourne retains a distinctive character. Located on the park-like grounds is an early formal garden and an extensive collection of outbuildings. Filled with an accumulation of family possessions, Welbourne offers a keenly felt continuity with the past. The house contributes to the Unison Battlefield Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia