This gentle ensemble in the pastoral landscape of southern Loudoun County has richly varied associations. Baptists had a meetinghouse at this location as early as 1769. The existing stone meetinghouse was likely built ca. 1806 when the minutes of the newly constituted Ebenezer Church meeting discussed “finishing the Meeting House.” The new Ebenezer Baptist Church, a country Greek Revival work, was built ca. 1855 to accommodate the New School Baptists, who broke off from the Old School Baptists and built their own building next to the old one. The Civil War disrupted the activities of both churches, causing services to be canceled for three years. Around 1876 local artist Lucien Whiting Powell, who gained a national reputation as an artist, decorated the interior of the new church with folk-like tromp l’oeil decorations. Both churches are today owned and maintained by the Ebenezer Cemetery Company. The surrounding cemeteries, outlined by stone walls, contain an interesting collection of gravestones dating from the early 19th century to the present.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark