Located in the heart of Loudoun County, the Van Deventer House exemplifies a Colonial Revival-style dwelling with neoclassical elements, prominently displayed in its three-bay façade with tall Tuscan columns, entrance door with sidelights, and arched-window dormers. Local builder-architect Archibald Simpson constructed the two-and-a-half-story house on a brick foundation, completing it in 1908. A porte-cochere with a gable roof extends from the house’s left side. The 15-acre property also has a collection of agricultural outbuildings dating to 1908 as well. These include a one-and-a-half-story tenant house, a corncrib, a carriage house and stable with an attached silo, a stone smokehouse, and a chicken coop. A two-story addition was built ca. 1920 to the rear of the house. The house’s interior is largely original, with intact Colonial Revival main staircase, fireplaces, doors, molding, and windows. Hidden from modern roads and adjacent houses, the property provides a private setting surrounded by woodland, with pastoral views that stretch into the distance. A veteran of Confederate Col. John Mosby’s cavalry regiment in the Civil War, Joseph Van Deventer (1847-1924), descended from a prominent Loudoun family and locally influential, served at the Loudoun National Bank in Leesburg. He subsequently obtained his medical degree from the University of Maryland and practiced in Bluemont (Loudoun Co.), then in Ishpeming, Michigan, before retiring and returning to Loudoun in 1908 to settle in his grand new home.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark