The main house at Green Garden began as a brick mill manager’s house about 1833. This section now serves as the rear portion of an evolved 19th-century house. The main block was built about 1846 as a Greek Revival-style house displaying fine detailing such as the striking Chinese-Chippendale-style balustrade on the flat roof of the entry porch. A rear addition connected to the original house and a two-story porch were added in 1856. The builder of the original house was Jesse Richards, operator of the Green Garden mill. The Loudoun County property saw several skirmishes during the Civil War served as a hospital and safe house for Mosby’s Rangers, two of whom were Richards’s sons. The main house is supported by several 19th- and 20th-century outbuildings, and the 34-acre property retains its historic view and setting, perpetually protected by a conservation easement. The house at Green Garden contributes to the Unison Battlefield Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark