Hewick was the 18th-century seat of the Robinson family, located just west of Urbanna in Middlesex County. Although long believed to have been constructed in two sections, the house most likely was built as a unit in the mid-18th century for the planter Christopher Robinson III (1705 1768), grandson of Christopher Robinson, colonial councilor and secretary of state, who probably had an earlier house on the property. In its original form the house was only one-story high with a clipped-gable roof. The roof was changed to a gambrel roof in the early 19th century. Around 1849 the front section was raised to two full stories with a low gable roof. These various changes illustrate the changing needs and tastes in house forms in the region. Hewick is set in a broad, level yard flanked by fields and is approached by a long, tree-lined lane.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia