The F.D. Crockett is a Poquoson-style log-hulled deck boat consisting of nine logs. It was constructed in 1924 and is one of only two large log deck boats still in existence that was built specifically for an internal combustion engine. It is also the only one with its original log bottom and the only one remaining in Virginia. Alexander Gaines, one of the last traditional log boat builders in the Middlesex County area, built the F. D. Crockett during a period when watermen on the Chesapeake Bay were turning away from sail to engine-powered boats of plank and frame construction, although traditional log-built boats were sturdier than the plank and frame ones of the time and could better withstand storms and heavy seas. The F. D. Crockett is representative of the Tidewater region’s tradition of log boat construction, which extends back to the dugout canoes Virginia Indians built.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark