For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/20/1989
NRHP Listing Date 11/13/1989
NRHP Reference Number 89001814
Located in the Alleghany Springs vicinity in Montgomery County, Crockett Springs Cottage is a relic of an era when western Virginia’s many mineral springs were the destination of hundreds seeking relief from aches and other aliments, as well as the pleasures of leisurely social intercourse. The Crockett Springs Cottage is the only remaining historic structure of a once-popular place. One of Montgomery County’s several spas, Crockett Springs opened in 1889 under the ownership of the newly founded Virginia Arsenic Bromide and Lithia Springs Company. It claimed its waters were an effective treatment for maladies ranging from eczema to insomnia. The two-unit building was originally among several that framed a rambling wooden hotel. It was equipped with the inevitable front porch, a venue for relaxing and enjoying the mountain air. Crockett Springs was the county’s last operating spa when it closed around 1941. The cabin is now part of a religious campground.
The Crockett Springs Cottage was listed in the registers under the Prehistoric and Historic Resources of Montgomery County MPD.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: April 13, 2022