Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

060-0565 Madison Farm Historic and Archaeological District

Madison Farm Historic and Archaeological District
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/20/1980

NRHP Listing Date 01/25/1991

NPS property number 90002190

Among the numerous historic resources in the narrow valley of the South Fork of the Roanoke River is the Madison Farm, established by William Madison and his wife Elizabeth Preston Madison, on a part of his father’s farm, acquired ca. 1766. Madison or his wife, daughter of William Preston, built the two-story, hall/parlor house in the late 18th century. Though altered and expanded through several generations, the house, still owned by descendants, remains endowed with an aura of antiquity. Adjacent are several early outbuildings including a log meat house, a log corncrib, and slave house. Among John Madison’s children was James Madison, first bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia. The farm has a series of important archaeological sites including sites of outbuildings and a Late Woodland period (ca. A. D. 800-1600) Indian village site known as the Marye Site.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated November 14, 2018