Arrowhead, located on the north side of the James River in the Norwood-Wingina Rural Historic District section of Nelson County, is important as the one-time residence of Colonel Wirt Robinson (1864-1929), a descendant of Dr. William Cabell (1699-1774), who received a 1738 land patent on 4,800 acres in present-day Nelson and Buckingham counties and the future site of Arrowhead. The legacy of Col. Robinson, a professor at the United States Military Academy, rests on creation of the first military science program at then Harvard College, extensive publications in many areas of science and natural history, and specimen bird collections still used today for research at the National Museum of Natural History in Washington D.C. Robinson kept meticulous diaries and records of his natural history pursuits and the Indian artifacts he collected. His collection consists of approximately 24,000 stone artifacts, all of which the National Park Service purchased from his estate in 1938. Arrowhead’s primary dwelling, a one-and-one-half-story brick residence of highly customized design and construction, was built for Robinson in the early 1920s. The house has a side-gable roof clad with slate shingles from historic quarries in Buckingham County.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark