The finely crafted Stratton Manor house was erected in the third quarter of the 18th century by Benjamin Stratton, member of a Northampton County family that had owned the land since 1636. The dwelling, possibly built on the site of an earlier Stratton family house, is an example of the 18th-century vernacular architecture distinctive of Virginia’s Eastern Shore. Features associated with the regional form are frame construction with Flemish-bond brick ends, chevron patterns in the gables (here obscured by paint), exterior chimneys with steep sloping haunches or weatherings, and paneled chimney walls inside. In addition to tending his land, Stratton was a chairmaker, making the house interesting as an artisan’s dwelling of the Revolutionary War era. Stratton Manor preserves its rural setting amid the flat fields of the Eastern Shore farmland.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark