Almshouse Farm at Machipongo

VLR Listing Date


NRHP Listing Date


NRHP Reference Number

DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement

The Almshouse Farm at Machipongo is a complex of five buildings dating from the early 19th to the early 20th century. The 17-acre Northampton County site was used continuously as an almshouse farm between 1803 and 1952. The oldest structure is the “Quarter Kitchen,” built in 1804, with a wood-frame section added in 1844. A simple vernacular Greek Revival two-story building was constructed about 1840 as the almshouse, with eight rooms on the first floor and 13 “guestrooms” on the second floor. In 1910, a single-story frame building with 10 guestrooms was built to serve as a poorhouse for African Americans. There are also two historic sheds on the Almshouse Farm at Machipongo property. While most almshouses were closed throughout the state by the 1920s, Northampton County’s remained open until 1952. The property currently operates as the Barrier Islands Center museum and is open to the public.

Last Updated: January 30, 2024

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form


Cape Charles Rosenwald School

Northampton (County)



Northampton (County)



Northampton (County)