Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

066-0013 Wheatland

Wheatland
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/15/1986

NRHP Listing Date 11/15/1988

NPS property number 87000015

Wheatland was built in 1840 as the centerpiece of a 1300 acre plantation. One of the Northern Neck’s most sophisticated antebellum houses, Wheatland was originally the home of Dr. William Hopkins Harding, a wealthy physician and planter who served in the General Assembly. Except for wings added in 1848, the dwelling is little altered and exudes a stately air with its regular five-bay facades and nearly identical two-tiered Doric porticos on the land and river fronts. Inside is bold, provincial Federal and Greek Revival style woodwork as well a finely detailed Greek Revival parlor ceiling medallion echoing a design in Asher Benjamin’s The Practice of Architecture (1833). The house is set off by four symmetrically arranged original outbuildings linked by a series of early walkways. An impressive tree-line driveway leads across level fields to the entrance.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated August 7, 2018