Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

066-0034 Shiloh School

Shiloh School
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/19/1991

NRHP Listing Date 01/22/1992

NPS property number 91001976

Recalling a bygone era of American education, Shiloh School is rare example of an unaltered one-room school building. Such diminutive structures once dotted the American countryside providing sound, basic education to rural children. Most of the remaining ones of this quickly disappearing building type have been converted to homes or other uses; Shiloh was used only for farm storage since the last classes where held there in 1929. The buildings was erected 1906. The well-known philanthropist Jessie Ball (later duPont) taught here during the school’s two years. A great believer in the power of learning, Mrs. duPont gave a large portion of her considerable wealth to educational proposes through the Jessie Ball duPont Religious, Charitable, and Educational Fund. In 1987 the property was donated to Northumberland Preservation, Inc. which undertook the restoration of the school as a community amenity.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018