Fairy Stone State Park was developed between 1933 and 1940, through the construction labor of 600 Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers. Its hilly and mountainous terrain on 4,750 acres in Patrick County, near the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, made it an ideal location for the park. Fairy Stone’s name was derived from staurolite crystals, cross-shaped mineral crystals made during the formation of the Appalachian Mountains, commonly found within the park. Called “Fairy Stones” in local legend, they are considered to bring a person good luck.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark