Hill Grove School provided primary education for students in the local African American community before public school integration occurred in Pittsylvania County in the 1960s. In 1912, Alec Cook and his wife, Emma, donated a one-acre lot near the rural community of Hurt for the school. The two-room frame schoolhouse was completed in 1915. A standing-seam metal roof covers the weatherboarded structure, which rests on a fieldstone foundation. The school continued in use until 1964, when it was abandoned and later acquired by a church.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark