The John and Nancy Yeatts House is a finely crafted and well-preserved vernacular log dwelling with a handsome stone chimney. The one-story-with-garret house was built for John and Nancy Yeatts probably around the time of their marriage in 1808. A second log section was added just before the Civil War when records indicate that John Yeatts owned 16 slaves and three slave houses. In its construction, form, finishes, and detail, the Yeatts House is representative of the dwellings of Southside Virginia’s antebellum small farmers. After John Yeatts died in 1866, the house and property passed through multiple generations of the Yeatts family who leased it to tenants beginning around 1900.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark