Paxton is an intact early-19th-century plantation complex in Powhatan County. The dwelling house, a formal brick structure, which may incorporate fabric dating from 1776, makes use of the traditional Virginia plan of a central passage with a single room on either side, but also has an original east wing, probably built as a doctor’s office. The handsome fanlight doorway is embellished with a carved floral spray. The original outbuildings include a brick smokehouse, two small frame cottages or offices, and a brick and frame icehouse. The complex was completed in its present form in 1819-1823 for Ennion Skelton, a prosperous country physician. Dr. Skelton was also a partner in the Genito Mill, one of the county’s main gristmills. His son, Dr. John G. Skelton, who inherited the property in 1849, became one of the Richmond medical community’s leading physicians. The Skelton family burial ground is on the Paxton property.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark