Flowerdew Hundred Plantation was among the earliest English settlements in the new world. The tract was granted in 1618 to Governor George Yeardley, who named it in honor of his wife, nee Temperance Flowerdew. It was here, on Windmill Point, that North America’s first documented windmill was built ca. 1621, an event commemorated by a 17th-century-style windmill constructed in the 1970s. The Flowerdew Hundred settlement survived the Powhatan Attack of 1622 and was occupied though the 18th century. The area was developed into a plantation following its purchase by the Willcox family in 1804. The Prince George County property was the scene of an extensive archaeological investigation from 1971 to 1995 by the Flowerdew Hundred Foundation. The many sites at Flowerdew Hundred Plantation include a complex of early-17th-century structures as well as evidence of Indian occupation dating from 9000 B.C.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark