For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 11/05/1968
NRHP Listing Date 10/08/1969
NRHP Reference Number 69000274
Expressing the plainness of low-church Anglican worship, this well-known colonial church in Prince George County is devoid of religious symbols, but achieves architectural dignity from its Flemish-bond brickwork, modillion cornice, and graceful splaying of its gable roof. Although most of its original interior features were lost during the Civil War, its early sash windows, gallery, stone pavers, and roof framing have survived. Claims have been made that the church dates from 1657. A building of that date could well have served the original Jordan’s Parish, established in 1655, but nothing of the present building exhibits a definite 17th-century architectural character; its form and details are more typical of early and mid-18th-century Virginia churches. Merchant’s Hope suffered neglect during the 19th century and was often served by clergy from nearby parishes in Prince George County. Restoration begun in the 1960s restored the original configuration of the interior.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: July 27, 2022