On Powell Creek, two miles inland from the James River, the Hatch site contains archaeological remains dating from at least 8000 B.C. through the 17th century. Deep stratified deposits, a large number of Indian storage pits, hearths, human and dog burials, intact floor surfaces of living spaces, and numerous post molds offer a rare glimpse into various periods of Indian life extending into the period of European contact. The 105 dog burials form the largest concentration of such burials found in eastern North America. The site was part of the Weyanoke district of the Powhatan chiefdom and a small number of features probably date from the contact period. Colonial post holes of possibly four structures and the remains of trenches document early European efforts at colonization. The area was likely included in land patented by Cheney Boyce in 1637.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark