For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 05/13/1969
NRHP Listing Date 11/25/1969
NRHP Reference Number 69000275
Ingles Ferry was started by William Ingles in 1762 when he obtained a license to operate a ferryboat across the New River. Ingles was assisted by his brother-in-law John Draper. Over the ferry moved many of the settlers taking up land in Kentucky and Tennessee; the boat ran day and night with tolls amounting to over a thousand dollars a month. The Ingles Ferry Tavern, erected in 1772 on the Pulaski County side of the river, became a popular social center for the travelers. Andrew Jackson and George Rogers Clark were among its patrons. The ferry was eventually replaced by a bridge, which was burned in the Civil War. The Ingles Ferry was again put into operation and continued until 1948. The 1840 ferry house burned in 1967. The log and frame tavern is in stable condition and the crossing remains undisturbed by modern intrusions.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 2, 2022