Spring Dale, near Dublin in Pulaski County, is an elegant brick mansion built in 1856-1857 for David Shall McGavock, one of the county’s most prominent antebellum farmers. The house is two stories high with a full basement and was designed in a late Greek Revival/Italianate style. Distinguishing exterior features include its Ionic porch with bracketed cornice, foundation walls of dry-laid, finely-cut limestone, extraordinarily large windows, and a shallow hipped roof with wide, bracketed eaves. Interior features include decorative plasterwork, faux-grained paneled doors, marbleized wooden mantels and baseboards, and the remnants of a dumbwaiter. The tract also includes an impressive brick smokehouse and a refined frame barn (shown here), as well as ruins of the circa 1768 Samuel Cecil House and kitchen just across the creek from the house. Spring Dale served as a hospital after the Battle of Cloyds Mountain in 1864 during the Civil War.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark