The Fairview District Home is an extension of the almshouse system in Virginia, a tradition that extended back to 18th-century care for indigent or infirm adults and children. In 1908, the newly formed State Board of Charities and Corrections found 108 county and city almshouses in operation in Virginia. Over the next 20 years, the Commonwealth consolidated these institutions and sponsored the construction of improved facilities, introducing standards of cleanliness and good nutrition. The first two new district homes were built in Manassas and Waynesboro. In 1928, the Fairview District Home, originally called the Dublin District Home, was finished. Designed by architect Clarence Henry Hinnant, the home describes an abstracted Colonial Revivial style. It represented the united efforts of Craig, Giles, Montgomery, Pulaski, Roanoke, Smyth counties, and the City of Radford.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia