Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

081-0121 Brownsburg Historic District

Brownsburg Historic District
Photo credit: Grace Heffelfinger/DHR, 1972

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 02/20/1973

NRHP Listing Date 07/02/1973

NRHP Reference Number 73002055

Established in 1783, Brownsburg was laid out on the lands of Robert Wardlaw and Samuel McChesney along a main stage line. By 1835 the community was a hub of activity, containing about twenty dwellings, a mill, three stores, two shoe factories, three wheelwrights, two blacksmith shops, two tailors, a tanyard, a saddlery, a cabinetmaker, a carpenter, and a hatter. Brownsburg lost commercial importance after 1884 when the Valley Railroad was built several miles to the east, initiating a slide into a long decline. Now a well-preserved but somnolent residential village, Brownsburg is composed of buildings dating mostly before 1860, and from the period 1870-1910. Prevalent along the tree-shaded main road is the unembellished Valley Federal style, in both frame and brick construction, though several buildings have log cores. A noteworthy early dwelling is Sleepy Hollow, a ca. 1800 stone structure with an 1830s brick wing.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated: December 10, 2021