Haines Chapel was completed in 1914 as a small, wood-frame, vernacular house of worship located in a mountainous, sparsely populated area near today’s Blue Ridge Parkway in Rockbridge County. The chapel’s interior features extensive handcrafted original woodwork including flooring, chair rails, and an altar, as well as a brass chandelier with six oil lamps and an antique piano and organ. A cemetery surrounding the chapel and founded in the late 18th century contains an unknown number of graves, some with gravestones displaying regional forms of funerary art and symbolic motifs. The earliest known interment is that of Joel Hight in 1793. Regular worship services at the Haines Chapel ceased in 1955.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark