The Haugh House, a modest farmhouse built around 1855 in Rockingham County, was at the epicenter of Civil War combat on June 8, 1862. Sitting squarely between Federal and Confederate battle lines during the Battle of Cross Keys, part of Lt. Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson’s Shenandoah Valley campaign, the log portion of the house, still retained scars from the battle at the time of its listing. The house bears silent witness to the travails experienced by the common person in the path of the Civil War.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark