For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 11/05/1968
NRHP Listing Date 11/25/1969
DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement
NRHP Reference Number 69000279
Standing on an undisturbed section of the old Valley Turnpike in Shenandoah County, Fort Bowman, also known as Harmony Hall, illustrates the Pennsylvania-German influence on early Shenandoah Valley architecture. Notable German characteristics are the limestone construction, dressed ceiling joists, and the principal-purlin roof framing. Dendro-dating indicates that the house was built ca. 1771. Except for the addition of the small Greek Revival portico and a kitchen wing, the house survives little changed. The long history of Fort Bowman involves only six families from the construction of the dwelling house to 1968: the Bowmans (1743-1839), the Brinkers, (1839-1853); the Kerns, (1853-1868); the Hinkinses and Annie Hinkins Wharton, (1868-1938); the Rhodeses (1938-1968) and the O’Connells. (1968-2006). The last private owner was Beatrice Heath O’Connell and her son, Irvan, who ultimately insured the permanent protection of historic Fort Bowman by donating the property to the Belle Grove Foundation of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 5, 2022