Located in Shenandoah County’s village of Fisher’s Hill, the Stoner-Keller House and Mill offers a well-preserved example of a mill complex, a once-vital county industry. The Stoner-Keller House (also called the Abraham Stoner House) was constructed in 1844 as the residence of Abraham, a grandson of Frederick Stoner, the mill’s original builder and operator. Of the county’s six existing gristmills, Stoner-Keller is the oldest. Operated from 1772 until 1958, the mill retains its large circa-1895 steel overshot water wheel and early mill stones. The 2.5-acre property also has a one-story barn and a two-story tenant house, both constructed around 1880, and the trace of a 1772 tailrace.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark