In the Seven Bends area of the Shenandoah River, the Miley site consists of the remains of a palisaded village of the Late Woodland period (A.D. 900-1600). Approximately fifteen percent of the site was excavated in 1964 under the direction of the Library of Virginia, revealing a village area over 250 feet in diameter. The remains of five circular houses of various diameters were uncovered within the two concentric palisade lines. Also discovered were evidences of food storage pits, stone-lined hearths, and graves. The remaining unexcavated areas likely hold important information on the Shenandoah County region’s Indian life.
[VLR Listed Only]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark