Test excavations undertaken by the Library of Virginia at this site on the Shenandoah River have revealed evidence of one of the region’s few palisaded Indian villages of the Late Woodland period (A.D. 900-1600). Within the village compound were found indications of circular dwellings as well as food storage pits and graves. Further investigation of the site should provide important information on Indian communal life in the lower Shenandoah Valley.
[VLR Listed Only]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark